Pattern Review: Cashmerette Upton dress

Can I just say, I love this dress!  I just finished the Cashmerette Upton Dress!  I think like everyone else who has made this dress, I was skeptical of sizing, I guess we can blame that on the fit issues most have with commercial patterns.  I don't have many Indie patterns because commercial patterns are available and cheap.  You can't beat $1.99, I'm not bashing commercial patterns, I have over 400, I know, I know, most I haven't made, and many of them I purchased for a dollar.  There are some really good ones in my stash so I can't say they are worthless.  As I grow as a sewer/ sewist, I look at patterns differently, I'm looking for different things now.  I want an excellent fit and I want classic style with a trendy spin, I found it in the Upton dress.  I wanted to see what the hoopla was about and If I really could sew this right out of the package.  I recently tested a PDF pattern, and let me tell you, Indie pattern makers are serious about their craft and their desire is for everyone to have a balanced, great fitting garment.

I think I've seen the light and I will look more to my Indie pattern makers, especially those making an effort to address the average women's fit and body type.

This is my wearable muslin (#2)  the first one was of the bodice only and I didn't read the fit right, I should have added the zipper and assessed the fit, I tried to make my normal adjustments and I wound up backing out most of them, again, I didn't listen to the pattern maker.  I also didn't finish things as I would normally in terms of  the hand stitching, because I'm lazy, so don't look too close!








Pattern Description: 

Make a statement in the Upton Dress, the most versatile pattern in your stash! This gorgeous fit-and-flare dress is tailored to your curves with flattering necklines, a fully lined bodice, and hidden pockets. Even better, the design is in your hands, as you choose from a scooped or V-neck, high or low back, and a gored skirt or deep, dramatic box-pleats. Let your creativity shine, while the Upton takes you from brunch to cocktails in style!

SEWING LEVEL: Advanced beginner.
SIZING: 12 to 28, in three cup sizes (C/D, E/F, G/H). I cut 18 E/F cup.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?  
Yes

Were the instructions easy to follow?  
Yes, they are step by step and I found no errors.  They don't hand hold as much as commercial big 4 patterns, but the are sufficient.  As long as you read the directions and look at the diagrams you will be ok.


What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?  
I love the different cup sizes and pockets!  I really like the care taken in shaping the side seams and the already included sway back adjustment.  I like the included finished measurements.  I also like the different front and back necklines.  The only dislikes I have is the pattern does not include separate bodice lining pieces or an option for a full set in sleeve.

Fabric Used:

Dewbury rayon burnout fabric from Joann's and a Bemberg rayon lining.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:  
*I drafted lining pieces, I find it easier to draft a lining than trim 1/16 or 1/8 from the neckline of fabric.
*I did a forward shoulder adjustment
*I lined the skirt
*I used the scoop neckline view A  and the high back option view b and the gored skirt of view b
*I graded the bodice to a 20 and took most of it out after fitting the side seams.

Planning

Would you sew it again? 
Yes, I will make my size without any grading to get a close fit as intended but I will most likely line the skirt.

Would you recommend it to others?
If you want to try a pattern straight out the envelope, give this a try, this pattern makes for a good well fitted fit and flare dress in the woven fabric of your choice.

Conclusion: 

I want to hear from you, what do you think?  Have you sewn this pattern, did you like it, do you have plans to sew it? 

Comments

  1. Yes, I am working on this now. I was wondering about lining the bottom, but my first try will be a wearable muslin. Great review I'm looking forward to finishing mine this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice, I follow you on sewing pattern review and love all of your makes. I have several indie patterns and find this company fits well. Now that I see your version I "may" splurge and get this one. Happy sewing..... Juanita aka canei

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for following and always commenting, I really appreciate it!

      Delete
  3. How did you know that you needed the forward shoulder adjustment? I love your style, btw.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My shoulders are not straight or aligned with my neck, from slouching, there are drag lines if your shoulder is not balanced here is a resource http://sewingworkshop.com/files/Fitting_Shoulders-April.pdf

      Delete
  4. I started it, then life got in the way and I set it aside. I have to admit I'm intimidated at the thought of putting a zip into a lined bodice. I've never put in a zip before. I should just get over it, I know. How will I learn if I don't try? Lol.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment