Pattern Review: V9021- Revamped

I'm a firm believer in doing things right.  So, I went back through some of my reviews to figure out if I could improve on them before moving on to new patterns.  Some patterns where hard for me, but now after a little practice, they don't seam so scary.  Also, with using the forums on Pattern review, I've learned a lot about fitting and how to be happy with what I've made.

So, this pattern is one of the first I reviewed.  My biggest mistake was not finishing it and figuring out what the problem was, I chalk that up to inexperience.  The next mistake was putting the  dress on a dress form 10x smaller than myself and I pinned it up to take pictures, Ugh!! (what was I thinking). I don't think putting it on the dress form did the pattern or me any good, so I decided to revisit this pattern.

I originally had this in the dump pile as I thought it was not save-able but I was wrong.   I hemmed it, took the seam ripper to it and tweaked it just a bit and I must say, It's a beauty.  I'm updating my pattern review and pictures.


V9021
Earrings blowing in the wind.

V9021


V9021
I felt like I was a part of the wall so I went outside to take picture.



Pattern Description: Fitted dress has front and back extending into sleeve, back zipper, hemline slit.

Pattern Sizing: 14-22  I cut a 22

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?

Yes, however the ponte knit draped more a linen would have held it's shoulder shape better.. I will try with a handkerchief linen per another review for more structure.

Were the instructions easy to follow? Yes

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? It was a great pattern lots and lots of darts!!!

Fabric Used: Ponte knit from Fabric Mart

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:

*Graded the pattern to a 24, grading the waist to a size 22 and the skirt to a 24.
* I basted  and fitted it to my hips
*I originally graded up for a woven but made adjustments for the ponte which was coming down almost to a 22.
* I increased the side seam under the arm for the sleeve by about an inch for modesty
* I didn't use the sleeve facing, I just folded under 5/8 in and top stitched.


Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? Yes, in a nice crepe or linen.

Cost:

Pattern: $5
Fabric: $8 for 1.5 yrds ( I purchased a piece)
Notions: Zipper $1.50
Total: $14.50

Time:
7 hrs (one of my first, took me a while to figure it out) including about 2 hrs fitting and correcting the original dress.


Conclusion: Good beginner pattern with lots of dart practice!  Give this one a try, I think a pear shaped lady looking for some balance in the shoulder area would benefit from trying this pattern.

Comments

  1. Pretty dress and was so worth saving.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You nailed it!

    The V9021 is easily my favourite Vogue pattern.

    Well done :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Would you mind me sharing this on Sassy Sewing Bees in the future? I link to your post and let you know when. https://www.facebook.com/SassySewingBees

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment